Name: Deltina Hay
Current Role: Elearning Developer at DeltinaU: Teaching social media, mobile marketing, and search optimization.
- Website: http://deltinau.com
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/deltinahay
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/deltina.hay
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/deltina
- Youtube: http://youtube.com/deltinahay
Location: Austin, Texas
Deltina Hay is the author of three books on social media, the mobile web, and search optimization. She developed the graduate, social media certificate program for Drury University; and her first book, The Social Media Survival Guide, is used as a text in colleges and universities, worldwide.
Deltina has been programming or developing for the Web for over 30 years. Her graduate education includes computer science, applied mathematics, numerical analysis, nonlinear dynamics, and psychology. Deltina presently serves as the Board Chair of the Independent Book Publishers Association.
Deltina is a life-long learner who loves to share her diverse knowledge. Her teaching style has been described as “straightforward, comprehensive, hands on, and real-world.” Her students refer to her as: “a social media powerhouse,” “a social media guru,” and even “a social media Jedi.”
1. What is the best business advice you have ever received?
If this were easy, everyone would be doing it.
2. What is the greatest challenge facing your business today?
The greatest challenge I am facing right now is what I call the “resource dilemma.” It seems more difficult than ever to get ahead enough to justify hiring more help; yet without it, I can’t get ahead.
3. What is the worst business decision you have made and what did you learn from it?
The worst decision I made was trying to keep a literary publishing house alive during a recession. What I learned is that you can’t will a business to succeed just because you love it.
4. What is the best business decision you have made and why?
The best decision I made was to pick one thing and stick with it. It was a big risk for me to stop development and consulting to focus on selling online courses. But I made a commitment to myself to stick with it and stay focused; and it is finally paying off.
5. Who is the Business Person you most respect and why?
Paul Newman. I respect people who demonstrate that a business can be successful and do good at the same time. The Newman’s Own product line – founded by actor Paul Newman and author A.E. Hotchner – is proof of that.
6. Recommend your favourite business book.
When Smart People Fail by Carole Hyatt & Linda Gottlieb
7. Recommend one online productivity tool/web service you would never be without and why.
I use HootSuite for posting to multiple social media accounts, for posting interesting articles to my social media accounts, for checking analytics on my social media accounts, and for feeding blog posts, videos, and other content to my social media accounts. I can’t imagine going back to doing all of that manually!
8. What future trend do you think is going to change the world?
It is not an easy task for a self-proclaimed futurist to choose one trend. But if I had to, it would be Google Glass technology. The technology behind Google Glass has the potential to change the face of business and science. For example, the technology is presently being tested inside of contact lenses to test the glucose level from a person’s tears.